Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Decemberists - The Hazards Of Love

Don't let the rating get you down, it's just entirely not my style. Colin Meloy is still going to get a ton of credit for making such an ambitious album; one that steps way outside of indie rock's box. If this were a new band, I imagine that it would be ignored. But being the darlings that the Decs are, they'll surely be lauded.

This is a concept prog-rock record straight from 1971. It has romance, terror, an evil witch and a feeling of mystical power given over nature. Basically guy falls for girl, mom doesn't approve, mom sends evil guy out to kidnap girl. Guy goes to look for girl. But the songs are very theatrical. In one, the guy is trying to convince his mom to let him go out partyin'. She eventually lets him, but she give him the drama queen act first. There's also a tale of a guy who has kids, hates them- and kills them. That's pretty cool. I won't tell you how it ends, because frankly... I don't really understand the ending or why its there. It's good enough, but I can't say I'll be giving it another spin. (2.5/5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment