Saturday, May 9, 2009

Conor Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band - Outer South

If I hadn't just listened to the new Bob Dylan record the week before, I may not have been so reminded of the band here. But in all actuality, this comparison is not far off. Think of the difference between Dylan's acoustic albums and his live shows with the Band or the Rolling Thunder Revue. That seems to be the difference between Bright Eyes and Conor's "solo" outings. I say "solo" because this really is a full band effort, where the other members are contributing as writers and even singers.

If you're mainly a fan of Conor's sincere acoustic wordy liltings, you still get that included. (see "White Shoes" below.) But some has also been replaced with lively hayseed jams. It's a valiant effort, and I'll bet it's great fun live, but I wonder if his audience doesn't want him to be anymore than their Donovan. (3/5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment