Saturday, October 10, 2009

KISS - Sonic Boom

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I'm a huge KISS fan. Now, I don't normally do a track-by-track review. Today I will. Eat me. Important stats before we dig in:

This is KISS' first studio record in 11 years since their "reunion" record, Psycho Circus.
Peter & Ace have been replaced on tour and record with Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer, respectively.
Paul Stanley produced.
They're old. Don't expect miracles.

"Modern Day Delilah": The first single from the album and a strong opener. Paul's written a heavy riff, almost an upbeat Black Sabbath, "N.I.B."- especially when he kicks it off with the "Yeah, yeah" ala Ozzy. The song's about a predatory beast of a woman who gets her come-uppance when she makes Paul her target. Great Tommy solo.

"Russian Roulette": Another heavy one. AC/DC type-riff with such a great bass grumble that I wouldn't be surprised if Gene was not playing. What does surprise me is that Gene is singing with a strength and a cleanness that I haven't seen in him since some of the '80s stuff. Compliments aside, the cocksman lyrics leave a little to be desired. "The "Russian Roulette" chorus has absolutely nothing to do with the "I know you want me/Your knees are weak" lyrics.

"Never Enough": Another AC/DC-inspired strutter. Or maybe closer to an '80's hard rock AC/DC inspired band. Because this has a huge singalong chorus that Paul is famous for. It sounds so much like something, it's on the tip of my tongue. Plus, it's way under-produced, which I like. Lyrically, it's typical Paul. Living life to the fullest with no one standing in your way. That's a good way to be "typical".

"Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect)": I almost blew this off as silly filler, but by the end, the chorus was sticking and I felt pretty good about it. Gene is definitely having fun with the lyric, which is about, what else- being awesome. He laughs at the end, but not in a cheeseball evil predator laugh. It really seems like he's enjoying himself. The song itself has a very retro KISS feel. This could easily have been on Rock And Roll Over. Right down to Tommy's pitch-perfect Ace-like solo.
"Stand": A Gene/Paul collaboration which sounds like other Gene-Paul collaborations. Specifically, "Stand" is modelled after "God Gave Rock And Roll To You II". Or maybe a composite of last album's "Raise Your Glasses" and "We Are One". Complete with the same Beach Boys inspired harmony break down followed by the big firework A-chord explosion. Sounds very late-'80s.
"Hot And Cold": This throwback to "Calling Dr. Love" exists only to add the KISS t-shirt slogan to a song: "If it's too loud, you're too old". But I can't give too much shit to a song whose lyrics also include the gem: "I've got the power any hour/Baby, feel my tower of power" Awesome.
''All For The Glory": Eric Singer takes the vocals on this and makes a strong showing. Not unlike Peter at his best. Another type of song about the camaraderie of being in a band that rockers just don't sing about anymore.

"Danger Us": "Danger you/Danger me/Danger us" Get it? Eight songs in, they haven't slowed down yet. Another strong Paul-rocker about gettin' down with the bad girls.

"I'm An Animal": Clearly my favorite song on this record. A Black Sabbath-y kinda riff mixed with some old "War Machine" or maybe "All Hell's Breakin' Loose" Gene put together a great sing along devil finger raiser. I hope they can nut up to play it live.

"When Lightning Strikes": KISS managed to do Tommy a solid and got him his own song. It's done in a very Ace-style and fits the character's persona. The song itself employs the cowbell to a greater extent than most KISS songs do. The verse makes me think of "Never Been Any Reason" by Head East.

"Say Yeah": Our producer gets to wind down the record with what is clearly the weakest song on the record. Sounds like Dokken or something from Paul's last record or 1983's "A Million To One". Whatever, it's no way to end an album. This is a "track 07" kind of song. The album is filled with anthems that would be perfect closers, but this one about the object of a girl's fantasy is filler.

Ultimate review, it definitely exceeded expectations. I wouldn't have minded if the band stepped outside and got some writers to help them find a wider net to fill some different lyrical topics. But, it rocks, it's not over absurd or pretentious. It's not written, for example like the last album, around a stage show theme which pushes the songs to a predetermined direction. It's got teeth, balls and it's loud. At least I know I'm not too old. (4 of 5 stars)


No comments:

Post a Comment