Saturday, August 7, 2010

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Before your eyes roll and you get all ho-hum about another blogger espousing some magic bean fairy dust miracle savior baby praises upon the new Arcade Fire release, be aware of this: I never really cared about Arcade Fire. Hadn't really listened to them, but saw them on the late night shows and thought: okay, sure, whatever. Usually, I do that, and the darlings in question leave the door the arrived in. (I'm looking at you, Vampire Weekend). But since Arcade Fire seems to just be getting bigger, I'll try again. When I've made these value re-judgements in the past with Beck and Radiohead, I was pleasantly surprised. So...

I still really don't care about them. I can certainly appreciate the conceptual theme of youth reminiscing in the calm safety away from a city, where cops have nothing better to do than to shine lights in curious kids' eyes. But it also seemed too precious. It doesn't challenge the listener like a "Jesus Of Suburbia". It doesn't bring the true love like a "Summertime". It doesn't inspire anything in me but the thoughts that Modest Mouse has done all of this much more interestingly. Except for that one song that sounds like Queens Of The Stone Age. Brightest corner of this town is below: (2.5 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment