Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fergus & Geronimo - Unlearn

First post in a while and I've decided to start with a completely new discovery. When doing so, I simply scour the new release list for the word "garage" and give it a listen. Whether it's an adjective for rock/punk/dance. A "garage" descriptor is better than "neo-" anything.

You're going to admire their pluck. They have chops to create some memorable minimalist tunes. Maybe they lean a little too heavy on that flute-sound from their distorted Casio. Also- the title of the songs themselves is all the irony they need to project. I get it; you're disdainful of the hipster scene that you're damned to all eternity to play for. You don't have to sing with that monotoned bored-to-death vocal as you do on "Wanna Know What Would I Do If I Was You" to over-emphasize.

But this is a duo (ish), and that's just one of the guys. The very next track, "Powerful Lovin'" does a fine job conjuring up the psyche-surf ballads of someday gone by. Send-ups, yes- I'm in. Parody-type plays to form some ironic pretense, I'm out. I would've said the same to Frank Zappa, but he's a much better musician than you guys.



Don't get me wrong. I'm just a little sensitive to people who get that chance to make a record use the opportunity to bitch about the people listening to their record. These guys aren't really bad at all. If there's a Top-10 Lof-Fi list of 2011, "Michael Kelly" might be on it. And the title track is the best (if only) doo-wop influenced track I've heard in years. (2.5 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment