Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Eddie Vedder - Ukulele Songs

The title does not lie. 16 songs sung by Eddie with little to no accompaniment; little help from guest performers. Most are originals. Some covers. But as Eddie sings alone, this feels like "alone" music. I suppose like all ukulele music. Without the benefit of a Hawaiian shore to walk barefoot down, I'll settle for a front porch in the rain.

The romanticism of being alone. An emotion perfectly expressed throughout this collection. An angsty opening track aside, these tunes are mostly romantic love-lost songs. "Broken Heart", "Goodbye", "Without You"; the song list goes on. It's simple. Songs about love generally are. And everytime I think I'm going to tire of this same uke-style song after song, Eddie hits some minor chord and I'm immediately back in.

While I've always been a Pearl Jam fan, I cannot immediately say why I love this record so much more than his last solo effort. But when I get the words, I'll come back and revisit- as I'm sure I'll be listening to Ukulele Songs a lot. (5 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment