Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Little Willies - For The Good Times

Trying to recreate classic songs is going to be hard for anyone. You usually end up using modern technology and professional musicians. The end result too often come out sounding sterile and practised when the reason we loved these songs in the first place was because of their guttural instinct sloppiness.

Having said that, I'm pleased to report that the Willies mostly get it right. It's not overproduced nor too polished. Having a vocalist as awesome as Norah Jones in your band could actually be a detriment in this kind of group. But when she gets mellow, she's downright sultry. See the opening track, Ralph Stanley's "I Worship You" and Kris Kristofferson's title track. When she's upbeat, "Fist City", she may lack the sass of a Loretta Lynn, but has more of a Dolly Parton playfulness.

"Lovesick Blues" is a version I could have done without. Maybe I'm just too close to the previous versions. Hank's original and Ryan Adams' excellent cover, but the tandem lead vocals don't work some heart is lost. Also, "Jolene". After hearing Jack White turn it into a bi-curious garage jam, it's hard to hear Norah bring it back down again. On the other hand, the cover of Willie's "Permanently Lonely" is on the money. Sweet, short and sentimental.

Mostly though, the criticisms I have are my own prejudice. I simply don't listen to a lot of country music of any era. I can praise the Little Willies for being true to the form and the sentiment, even if it won't be burning up my playlist in general. (3.5 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment