Saturday, April 21, 2012

Maps & Atlases - Beware And Be Grateful

Having looked at the allmusic review here before I started the record, I noticed the comparison "TV On The Radio meets Fleet Foxes"- and for the first track, I kind of agreed with that. TV's vocal inflection with modern percussive melody was being coupled with additional harmonious background. It's still ethereal. It was a good opener.

As we move on, I still feel the TV vibe but the rest has been replaced by something oddly retro-ish. A little U2, but even more than that, the post-U2 breed of 80s alt-rockers. Simple Minds, Big Country, etc.

Now that will seem way off base, especially watching the live performance below. But trust me, there's a lot of extra implementation of instruments that isn't totally synth-based, but will still remind you of the bigger-than-thou eighties production. All the while still being non-electronic. Like Peter Gabriel or Paul Simon. Not third-worldly, but... textured.

If it sounds like I'm totally confused, it's because this is a damn weird album. I don't know if I'm sold on the "math rock" label they've been given, but leader Dave Davison plays without monster chords or riffage. He's a master mother plucker who's working pretty fast up and down the neck. And his voice also frustrates me in the best way. At times, I'm visualizing Cee-Lo, and others, the guy from Big Head Todd. And when you see him, you think- Jimmie Dale Gilmore.

Maybe none of this seems to make sense. And neither does it that I should like this record. But I do. A lot. (4 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment