Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Walkmen - Heaven

Alright... a lofty title for the band's seventh album. But you know me, I give benefit to the doubt. And of it. Or something.
The opening track is way different than anything I've heard from the Men before. Most telling is how up front the vocals are. Hamilton Leithauser's voice has always been a raspy-Dylan style and he has, probably out of aesthetic necessity, had it undermixed. That vocal push is matched with the lushness of the production. It is a distinctive pop-oriented change as opposed to the distortion crunch of "The Rat".

The pop tones continue throughout, but I'm not trying to make sound overtly sell-out-y. The songwriting is a bit simpler than the Men have employed in the past, but still shows a uniqueness. "The Witch", for example with its straight ahead brushy backbeat is a contender for sex jam of the year. And even though it's as trite as the day is long, when the title track pleads, "Don't leave me/you're my best friend"; this writer may be sold every time.

Not just pop, but a light folk takes up a good half of the record. And the whole thing is blanketed in an air of hopeful optimism. No shoegaze cynicism here. Enough to where I would like to question if Hamilton has undergone any religious conversion. Or maybe he just had a kid. That's always good to turn a rocker into a big ol' softy.

But while I'm surprised and its mellowness, and it's youthful positivity- I did frequently enjoy the songs coming out. I'm very excited about seeing them present this in an outdoor park. It will work so much better than a dark club. (4 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment