Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dan Deacon - America

While not altogether the biggest fan of electronic music, I decided to give this album a spin for a number of reasons. Dan's reputation as a dynamic live performer, his description of this album as being more "rock like" and the fact that the first song on the album is  called "Guilford Avenue Bridge" which I imagine is taking place down the street from my home.

And that first track does have some rock elements in it. i.e. Guitars and a driving backbeat. This is true of that first track especially, and on "Lots" which, if the vocals had not been distorted and muddled, has the pop melody chorus to make a radio staple.

The songs throughout have a dynamic construct that I don't feel like I hear with the other EDM I've ever heard. As if it were meant more to be performed than simply danced to. It's not as repetitive with the simple bass and obvious crescendos.

The last half of the album (or Side Two- if you like) is dedicated to a "USA" grouping; which is apparently a specific political message. And again, there is no descernable lyrics here. Just a soundtrack to images that you may conjure. This part lost me a little, because I'm a little ashamed to say, it was all a little too electronic for me. Those pop elements from Side One were gone in this passage.

So if Deacon is on the whole, too experimental for my tastes- it's clear to see that his intention is performance-driven and that he has the goods to express himself and get you on your feet. (3 of 5 stars)



No comments:

Post a Comment