Saturday, January 19, 2013

Yo La Tengo - Fade

Ancient alternative band Yo La Tengo release their 13th album, which will be the first of their albums that I will hear. And it may be the last. There's nothing so bad about the band or even this album, it's a little more on the indie side than the rock side that I usually tread.

The main thing, I think, to point out about the sound is the matte finish of it all. Some of the tracks have a harmonium underlying that drones the songs chord. Nothing really ever strays from that at all. The vocals are monotoned and even. There's nary a guitar solo. Of course, my first exception to that rule is the first track- which plods on with solo accompaniment like a sleepy Dinosaur Jr. for all of six minutes.

But most of the songs come off like "Two Trains" or "Stupid Things". Mellow, tons of reverb, tons of vocal echo, minimal percussion. This might be an effect of the fact that YLT are using a new producer for the first time ever.

But I did not altogether dislike the record. On the contrary, "Well You Better" is a low-key pop number that would not be uncomfortable in a Strokes set. My favorite though, would be the balladiest. A song that reminds me of a sweet Elbow number, "I'll Be Around". It's sweet and simple, but sometimes the best love songs are.

In the end, the Tengo doesn't fade into anything to be able to fade out of anything. They're welcome just to sit in the shade. (2.5 of 5 stars)


No comments:

Post a Comment