Saturday, February 16, 2013

Foals - Holy Fire

When I see an "alternative dance" label next to a band, I may get some negative connotations. Some techno-with-guitars image like Jesus Jones. But on their third album, Foals show more of a Depeche Mode influence than something bouncier like Franz Ferdinand.

The "alternative" part of the dance will start in the lyrics, which are mostly self-loathing fears about a guy who cannot trust or be trusted. So, on the dark side of things. But also much more oblique than DM, who was rarely happy-go-lucky but generally completed a thought process.

The "dance" part too is also not obvious. The beats are there, but they're often muted. There are exceptions, like the single "My Number". But this is no Radiohead either. Time signatures don't stray from classic.

Picking a favorite would be the most dynamic of the tracks. "Late Night" builds from a quiet lullaby to a frantic disco, complete with a funky scratch guitar solo. It really does feel like 1979 by the time you get to three minutes. I wish singer Yannis wasn't screaming for his mommy, but the song still works.

Other than that, I was left mostly flat by Foals. Again, probably not my top genre. And I'm glad it's wasn't Muse, but I still can't say that the record moved the holy anything in me. (2 of 5 stars)


No comments:

Post a Comment