Saturday, July 13, 2013

Jay-Z - Magna Carta... Holy Grail

For some reason, I've been listening to a lot of rap lately. Weird. Also, I wasn't really impressed with other new releases from this week, so why not listen to the biggest. I do love the first single, which also happens to be the first track...

"Holy Grail", of course, is the hit song with the great Timberlake hook about the trappings of fame which ups the dynamic of the lyric by writing in an abusive woman that you you can't help but loving. This remains the best song on the record.

What follows is a a series of tunes about being rich, which is fine. But seriously, there's even a song called "Ocean", featuring Frank Ocean, which is about yachting. I mean it's enough that I try to relate to a black city hustler, now I have to add on a burden of a boat captain? The beats are there, the rap is there, but I won't be attaching to anything in it.

An exception lies in "Heaven"; a mellow track where Jay-Z contemplates the afterlife, shits on men of faith here on earth, and declares himself both prophet and God. Fuck a humble brag. There's also an obligatory romantic duet with lovely wife Beyoncé. And the obligatory new-dad song to daughter, Blue.

So, outside of that tasty opening track, there's not a lot that I could recommend about MCHG.It's decent, but don't expect it to get your party moving or your ride down the street. (2.5 of 5 stars)


No comments:

Post a Comment