Saturday, August 17, 2013

White Lies - Big TV

British synth pop isn't necessarily my jam, but there are exceptions to every rule. I was able to take a song or two in my life's journey from The Bravery, which is very much like White Lies. No such exceptions are going to be included here.
 
The closest to a jam is "There Goes Our Love Again", a clear single with a soaring sing-along chorus. It will completely obvious when the band breaks down live and lets the crowd clap along and chant how far they did or did not go. "Be Your Man" is also an upbeat track with potential, but suffers from a formulaic approach to British synth pop. And true, I wouldn't trap a garage rock band with that complaint. But fuck it, if I'm expanding my musical view, I want a reason to.
 
Other tracks have that Duran Duran-ishness about them. "First Time Caller" is a silly metaphor about working up the courage to speak. "...but a long time listener. I've been waiting a while to talk to you." And this song isn't the only lyrical eye rolls on the record. The big ballad, "Change" does the paired off word play that you see a lot. "I'm going to miss the way I missed you - But I'm okay if you're okay" It may have been clever once, but not so much now.
 
My only problem with Big TV is that it's just too bland. The bedrock of a synth drone, playing chords to lead the guitarist to. The drummer's sixteenth-note high-hat-hits. The earnest vocal verses and the soaring vocal choruses. I didn't hear anything that gave me a reason to replace Depeche Mode in my time. (2 of 5 stars)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment