Saturday, July 25, 2009

Magnolia Electric Co. - Josephine

Jason Molina releases his first album in a few years, and it is pretty much what you would expect. It's alt. country with soothing piano, slide acoustic and pedal steel guitar. The songs are about loneliness, sentimentality and peaceful breezy weather.

Other than that, there's not much else to tell. If you're familiar with Jason's past work, this will be familiar territory. You'll have your favorites and the rest of it will still sound good to you. I think it helped that I'm listening to it with the windows open on a nice mild summer day. The wind is blowing at me and the lawns are freshly cut.

The album is also fairly short. 14 songs at 45 minutes. Doing the math, that's an average of over three minutes per song. That means that the songs aren't belabored over. They come in, tell the story and move out. I just wished I had the patience to move so slowly for the full duration. (2.5/5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment