Saturday, July 11, 2009

We Were Promised Jetpacks - These Four Walls

Great name for a band. As I saw that and the category "Indie Rock", I knew I had my album of the week. As I dove into the first song, "It's Thunder And It's Lightning", I started to feel really satisfied with my choice. Started with a pretty typical indie rock riff. Felt very New-York, like Les Savy Fav for example. Except for the vocals. WWPJ are a Scottish band and that becomes all too evident with Adam Thompson's unapologetically thick Scottish accent. He sang strongly over the riff as the song crescendoed to something a little more feverish. A procedure that when employed like this reminded me a little of U2.

A then I realized that that was it. The same structure for their first song is almost exactly repeated on virtually every other song on the record. Starts out with a riff that is based on plucking two different notes of a chord one after the other. Drums kick in. Singer begins. Song swells, plucking turns into full chords, big jam on that chord for last minute of song. While most come in at an acceptable amount of time, the next-to-last track, "Keeping Warm" employs this structure over an eight minute time frame. And the last track, "An Almighty Thud" uses the same riffage, just on acoustic. The lyrics here about failure and fear seem interesting, but the song takes a minute too long while the guitarist jams some simple chord when it's not needed or earned.

Which is going to be the final thought for this record. Great name aside, this band has some growing to do and is, at this moment, not needed.
(2.5 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment