Saturday, August 29, 2009

Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

For their third studio album, the best of the hooligan Brits actually get a little nutty. Hiring Queens Of The Stone Age leader, and all around freak-out desert tripper, Josh Homme to produce and contribute. About the sessions and his peyote use, Homme said, "...I didn't tell them, so there were just a few days when they were like 'Why are you being so weird?' I didn't think it was weird, I just said the word 'Ham' 4,000 times."

The album kicks off with a bastard of a Nick Cave desert western movie opening credit kinda tune. "My Propeller" even has a vaguely Robert Pollard-esque (read: drug-induced) lyric: "Coax me out my low and have a spin of my propeller"

They further the desert feel for the sound and video of the first single, "Crying Lightning", while I continue to be both baffled and impressed with the lyrics. And the theme keeps repeating itself with "Dangerous Animals", although this time, I become a little annoyed with the letter spelling repetition.

But other than that, I really can't say enough about the lyrics. I'm very much a man of words. And when you cram as many vague ideas into 3-4 minutes spaces as the Monkeys do, you give yourself the opportunity to either, like the Beatles, paint a picture that whether or not you identify with all the pieces, you can still somehow get it. Or you can, like other psychedelic followers, just create a ridiculous fingerpainting mess. "Potion Approaching", which has a riff so Queens-like, I can't believe that Josh didn't co-write it, is a great lyrical example of the former:

Then we fell asleep in the car
Until the bumps woke me up in your grip
And the tide took me to your mouth
And then swept me back down to your palms

The album shows a real progression and I'm glad Josh brought it out. "Pretty Visitors" is the lone track that stays completely true to the Monkeys post-punk roots. All in all a great release that shows musical and songwriting growth. The songs lay a foundation of earnest trippiness while the lyrics show a real imagination towards the romantic. (4 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment