Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Rumble Strips - Welcome To The Walk Alone

I have no idea what Cobra Starship sounds like, but reading as much as I have about them makes me think I will hate the record they released this week. So, I'm going for an unknown instead.

Mark Ronson (of Amy Winehouse fame) produces the second album by this UK rock band. The criticism around the record is that it's made too slick, polished and well, Ronson-ed for the ruckus that the Strips apparently showed on their first album (which admittedly, I didn't hear). I'm going to disagree. I was pleasantly washed over by the American soul production on the otherwise Kinks-inspired brit pop-rock.

"Not The Only Person" is a great example of what I'm seeing throughout the record. The verses have a snarl about them,
not punk but not Coldplay either. Then the chorus swells like the Animals at their best to include a booming vocal and understated mix of horns and strings backing. See video below.

A couple songs about the fellas are distracting, you may skip them. "Daniel" and "Douglas" both tread water but to me like little more a time to get in a piss and a beer.

"Back Bone" on the other hand is like a James Bond theme. Ronson keeps the strings swirling in the background like we're afraid of the villain entering the room before Bond has freed himself from the laser death contraption.

All in all, I think Ronson very effectively captured some great songs and contributed his style accordingly. It's certainly a different application of Ronson's talents to throw on what would otherwise be pub rock, but I'm glad it was done. Bottoms Up! (4 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment