Saturday, September 26, 2009

Monsters Of Folk

Monsters Of Folk is a an indie supergroup. Much more so than the Dead Weather, even. Singer-songwriters Conor Oberst, M. Ward and Jim James of My Morning Jacket join Conor's Bright Eyes partner Mike Mogis for this alt. country collaboration. Something must have changed in me, because I remember first hearing Bright Eyes, and thought that it was pretentious and bitchy. And now I see Conor as a pretty awesome songwriter. Jim James too, I was fortunate enough to get recently acquainted with having just heard the Evil Urges album. And since I saw She & Him as more of a Zooey showcase, I have little previous relationship with M. Ward.

The album kicks off with, "Dear God", which, with its electronic drums, began to remind me of
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. However, by song's end, soaring harmony echos and string sections, I was more inclined to hearken this to some '70s adult-contemporary throwback. 10cc or the slow Hall & Oates. Also, tell me if you don't feel a little Dave Mason's "We Just Disagree" when listening to "Map Of The World".

A single, "Say Please", was much more of what I would expected from the supergroup principals. All it needs is a British voice like
George Harrison to make this sound more like the Traveling Wilburys. Which is true also of "Whole Lotta Losin'", a fantastic country-blues dance jam.

I don't mind saying that sometimes, this album crosses further over into the country side than I need to be comfortable with. "Temazcal" and "The Right Place" are wrought with barroom piano and steel guitars. If this
Wilco influence is your kind of style, then these tracks will probably be your favorites.

On the other hand, though (I AM a
man of contradictions) "Goodway" is straight up country western, with some barely intelligible poem recitation at the end. "You taught me everything I know about takin' other people for a ride". It's a short blast of freakiness.

"My Master's Voice" is a great way to close the album. An ironically pseudo-gospel tune that infuzes all of the country/alt. country/indie pop/rock influences and rolls it into one. This album proved to be a great example what can be accomplished when some surely egocentric frontmen share the spotlight for the greater good. (4 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment