Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sondre Lerche - Heartbeat Radio

A Norwegian indie pop artist that has existed for five albums completely under my radar releases his sixth this week. Apparently, he was a prominent player in the soundtrack to the movie "Dan In Real Life". And in a week that will be overwrought with the Beatles' remasters, I decided to go for an unknown.

My first impression is the Thom Yorke kinda voice. Except more pronounced and light. Sondre sounds like a happy person, which could very well annoy the shit out of me. But it doesn't, it's a nice sunny day as I type this and the music fits.

Also, at least at the start, Sondre basically writes songs that start with simple acoustic guitar chords. Then in the 3rd act of the songs, he throws in some sweeping orchestral string lines. It makes me wonder why he doesn't employ their use throughout the song, since they give the end a kind of excitement that isn't shown in the rest. Now I'm feeling like Sondre is trying to channel some poppier version of Rufus Wainwright.

Another song, "I Cannot Let You Go", with it's jangly electric telecaster and bouncy maracas, sounds straight out of a 1972 AM radio. Oddly, it's not a Captain & Tennille cover. "Almighty Moon" has such a straight ahead pop melody, that I was waiting for him to say that he loved the nightlife and wanted to boogie on the disco round. Other tracks though, like "Easy To Persuade" feel like a Lemonheads hold over, except with more Solid Gold-era synthesizers.

"Like Lazenby" has the rhythm and melody of something off of a showtune, like Little Shop Of Horrors or Grease. But with lyrics about fucking up and getting back on the horse, it makes for what should surely be my favorite song on the record. The version included below is live solo acoustic, which makes it sound more like Death Cab For Cutie, but don't be afraid it's still a great song.


In the end, I would say that Sondre has made an album somewhere between Rufus Wainwright and Jason Mraz. It's very light and poppy with little bursts of confused excitement. Maybe I'm just an "all or nothing" guy. (2.5 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment