Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Jolie Holland & the Grand Chandeliers - Pint Of Blood

I first heard Jolie years ago on a petite jazzy vocal kind of thing called "Springtime Will Kill You". And as close I was to listening to the new Limp Bizkit album released today (no... really)- I decided to go an alternate route.

The draw here is really Jolie's voice. Her singing style is unique and runs the gamut. Like there's seven different accents at once. It's jazzy and bluesy, but also folky and country. Imagine a throat like a big tree saw you shake for that wobble sound. Not vibrato. Wobble. She's doesn't have the dynamic range of a Björk, but you can tell it's an influence.

The songwriting- I'm seeing as less of an asset. I remember that playful breezy rhythm of that first song I heard and in comparison, this is just simpler folk-rock. I've got Neko Case on the brain because I heard her not too long ago; but it fits. Lyrics like "It brings a smile to my lips when I think of your fist" are great, but few and far between. The rest of the album is just general mellow frustration. "If disappointment is like a drug, I've overdosed again" Could be more imaginative. But it is pretty. (2.5 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment