Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Epic - Broken Voice

This holiday being a slow one for record sales; no one really releases anything this week historically. So finding something of interest to me is difficult. My Epic has no history to speak of, so I can't even tell you anything about them.

But simply, this record is
acoustic pop music. It doesn't even really fit in the indie folk scene where you might find a Fleet Fox or a Bon Iver. It's like Counting Crows without the instrumentation of a talented band. Leader Stephen Price fingerpicks a nylon string guitar instead of strumming anything. And musically, I find it hard distinguishing one song from the other; except that here and there the producer adds some percussion and cello.

Vocally, Price is again completely non-descript. He sing/speaks with a boyish one-octave range and makes sure not to
wake the neighbors. As if Jack Johnson stopped smoking weed. What are the songs about? I don't know. The one below is decidedly Christian. But I'm sure that every song had the words "darkness" and "rise" in them. (1 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment