Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Portugal. The Man - In The Mountain In The Cloud

I remember listening to "Censored Colors" years ago and I remember not liking it. Which is odd, because I saved a good three tracks from it. Maybe it was 15-song length that made it seem worse. Because "Mountain..." is delightful.

It kicks off with the best track, "So American". A song that, for some reason, has me convinced that this is what the Beatles would have done if they had another 10 years of life. If they shaved their beards and got glammy.



That feeling is echoed through some other tracks on the album. Vocal harmonies, lush orchestration, John's (may I call you "Portugal"?) falsetto. Songs about light/sun/mothers/children. It's hippie, but the psychedelics are toned down and we're left with a mellow indie rock with a scoop of Ziggy/E.L.O. thrown in.

I may altogether keep the same number of songs from "Mountain" as I did from the album of old; but this record feels more cohesive and fully realized. (3 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment