Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Beirut - The Rip Tide


Having my dreams dashed of listening to the new RHCP record (not on Rhapsody...) I turned my sights to indie folkers Beirut. I liked their debut release, but that was several years ago. Let's skip ahead to see what they're up to now.

Beirut is an indie folk band, which means that they've got all the instrumentation of an Arcade Fire, except that they are way bigger pussies. Which is expressed with casualness all over this record. A thankfully brisk nine songs, the rolling theme seems to be the isolation and loneliness of the musician's wandering home.


It doesn't have that morbidity though, nor is it as clever, as the Magnetic Fields; but I'm still reminded of them through mostly Zach's monotone vocal delivery. On the contrary to Mr. Merritt, who has often fairly fascinating wordplay; Zach is sparse and leafy. "Sound is the colour I know... is what keeps me looking for your eyes."

But I don't want to be too critical. The songs are very pretty. And it's rare that I get comfortable with a horn section that's not funky. A throwaway electronic track, "Santa Fe" which sounds like The Killers were falling asleep, the songs sound like northeastern coastal cities with Ralph Lauren jackets. It's got a mood that fits, but you won't be driving to it. Standout track attached, "Goshen". (3 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment