Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Trivium - In Waves

I've never been the biggest advocate of the heaviest metal. Love, however, the classical metal form. My favorite genre, as a matter of fact. But once they start growling, drumming 64th notes, I get lost. But I haven't heard new metal forever, so I'm taking this on today.

But they're not kids. Trivium is on its fifth record and have had some success. And I can't complain too much; this one is actually quite well put together. It's definitely thrash; not quite death, but it is quite morbid. And while growling is prevalent throughout; it also runs up into the mainstream a little bit. Some post-hardcore heaviness.

A new drummer helps the proceedings, conjuring visions of Dave Lombardo (more Grip, less Slayer) but still... There's plenty of old school Maiden-like metal grooves, and when the thrash takes over; it's earned. Not speed for speed's sake, but some real compositions that jam.

Vocally, unfortunately, there's nothing there. Growlies aside, Matt Heafy just doesn't have the chops to do anything else. Which could be forgiven if he also wrote with a little more dexterity. But he keeps it close to the vest; general malaise and morbidity. "You taught me what it feels like to feel pain for the first time" and others that tie directly to the sense of drowning that the title alludes to.

It's good though, to find that I haven't lost faith in the genre. Horns up. (3 of 5 stars)


No comments:

Post a Comment