Saturday, March 31, 2012

Madonna - MDNA

Never one to spend too much time with pop music, circumstances led me to listen to Madonna's latest. What I find most interesting in listening is how much I find myself accusing Madonna of leaning too closely on other hitmakers. Hitmakers that I would surely also accuse of ripping off Madonna. A cyclical problem which I'm sure is just timing. Madonna's at an age now where Lady Gagas are taking the Madonna platform to modern stages. And Madonna's divorce is putting her in a "girl gone wild" vibe which is selling a false youth.

She uses a couple of these hitsters as guests, M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj, and why/how she avoided the Lady Gaga guest spot is curious. Maybe it was too on the nose. As long as you didn't Britney-kiss her on MTV, it wouldn't have been at all ridiculous.

I've been impressed with Madonna music before. I'm thinking specifically with rock-tinged "Ray Of Light", which seemed more authentic somehow. None of that occurs here. Madonna wavers from modern house production to classic dance-pop. The latter includes the single "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and "Turn Up the Radio". It's catchy and fun, but already well-tred ground, even with the young guests.

I was more impressed with the more innovative production techniques. "I'm A Sinner" for example and this writer's favorite, "I'm Addicted". It's nothing that the young kids aren't already used to, but it was enough to keep me from being bored while still employing some quality pop melodies. Having said all that, you should also check out the deluxe-only track "I Fucked Up", which shows some of the rare Ciccone humility. (2.5 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment