Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Magnetic Fields - Love At the Bottom of the Sea

I've been a Fields fan since I was turned onto them in a description by Paul Rudd. He got to 69 Love Songs via Courtney Love; and I hate to thank her for anything but there ya go. But I've followed them (him) since. And while I was disappointed with 2010's Realism, I still have faith that Stephin Merritt will crank out some great songwriting. Hopefully he continues to be miserable and surly. And I apologize for wishing misery on anyone, but let's face it. Leonard Cohen singing Mary Poppins tunes wouldn't work either.

One of the criticisms I've read about this collection is that too many of the songs seem like joke songs. I think I understand the concept. Now, Merritt's always had a biting wit. Which is different than the first track, a romantic rejection which declares "though it's not illegal in our state / I love you baby, but God wants us to wait." It's a bit more spot-on humor than just being acerbic. This is true too of the first single. "Andrew in Drag". Funny, and maybe a future gay anthem, but more playful than we're used to with Stephin.

And this comedy theme keeps going. I almost worry that if I hadn't read that before, if I wouldn't have noticed. Which would be difficult in the most flagrant example. A piece of shit dance tune called "Infatuation (With Your Gyration)". Merritt seems to be digressing in age. I mean, on the one hand, it's impressive to be able to rhyme "mariachi". But I have to believe that there's a better reason to make that rhyme than to say, "You want to light your flame in her hibachi".

I did get a favorite out of it though. Even if it is a re-working of a previous Fields song, "I Don't Believe You". This one, "I Don't Like Your Tone"- below. (2 of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment