Saturday, May 25, 2013

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

I first became aware of The National from the Boxer album. I didn't love it at all, but "Start A War" was a personal anthem for me during a break-up. So I'll give them a chance again, but am wary that Matt's vocal and lack of dynamics will again keep from getting too close.


"You didn't see me, I was falling apart
I was a television version of a person with a broken heart"

The album starts with some relief to my reluctance, because while "I Should Live in Salt" is a mellow, fairly monotonous sounding tune, there's something about the lyric that I really love. "Don't make me read your mind". And even better than that is the follow up, which may end up on the year's best of list. "Demons" has a mellow groove that conjures memories of this year's Nick Cave record. But instead of slow-jam sexy, it's a bitter, resentful reflection of self. "I am secretly in love with everyone I grew up with" and "When I walk into a room, I do not light it up... fuck." are both brilliant examples of a lyric that draws me like a mosquito to the bar's neon.

That same kind of aesthetic follows through another favorite, "Graceless", which could be a full on party jam if someone remixed it. ...And if the audience didn't quite focus on the complete self-destructive, sad nature of the lyrical content.

"I'll be a friend and a fuck-up and everything
But I'll never be anything you ever want me to be"

I was right in my prejudice that The National do not project any variation of styles. I think it would be great to be the drummer in this band. You get your share of the publishing royalties and you barely have to show up. And Matt's vocal range goes from deep moan to deep lilt. He seems almost asleep most of the time.

Having said that though, the writing of Trouble Will Find Me is brilliant. The lyrics, the pacing, etc. are as good as your favorite U2. I can't believe that I blew them off live this year, but I've found a contender for album of the year. (5 of 5 stars)



No comments:

Post a Comment